| William in front, Mason behind. They both saw the snack I was preparing and stood and stared at it in exactly the same way. |
| W, M-- I didn't pose them. They both decided to go sit with their new toys at the same time |
I answered with a little more detail than I would a complete stranger who was just making conversation but it got me thinking that my immediate answers are still pretty generic: They talk in their own little twin language. There isn't an obvious leader it- it just depends on the day. They are a lot alike but very different and that's also how we tell them apart. Today I watched my little guys as we experienced a normal day together and I thought about those questions.
We began our normal daily routine of whatever we felt like doing. We spent the day playing in the tee pee, reading books, having snacks, and the boys' favorite: dumping toys everywhere while I scurried around picking them back up. We watched squirrels, we went on a short walk, and we waited anxiously for Daddy to wake up and play with us before he had to go to work. (He's working overnights so he sleeps during the day but the boys still try to get to him by banging on the bedroom door and calling to him through the crack underneath. They are so ecstatic when he wakes up). We ate more food, went to Target, played more, took a bath- all per the usual day. They were in their regular good moods.
I listened to them speak in their own language and heard grunts and sounds more than actual gibberish or a made up language. It reminded me of this time when I was around seven years old and my uncle (my dad's twin) called on the phone. My siblings and I listened to my dad's end of the conversation and were so impressed that they were actually communicating because all we heard were weird grunts. William and Mason talk the same way. I've picked up on some of the sounds and can tell what they want without even looking at them. (A quiet grunt accompanied with the sign for more means they want a sack. A louder longer grunt means come look at what I'm doing. And a whine with some grunting means come help me right now! Mason has been making this more desperate grunting lately because I think he's beginning to feel frustrated with not talking and being misunderstood a lot...)
I also observed that there definitely was not an obvious leader. They like to be together so if one guy moved, the other followed. They like to play together so if one guy got an idea to do something, the other participated. If one guy wanted a drink, the other one became thirsty. They take turns playing leader but I can't say that one is more dominating than the other at this point.
As far as differences and likeness is concerned, they are more alike than different but they are far from the same. They have individual preferences and specific limitations. I haven't written much about these because Aaron is very protective over the 'comparing' issue and never wants one of his sons to feel less than the other. But we respect their differences and know that one guy doesn't like heights but the other one does, one guy prefers more meat with his meal while the other will take extra fruit and veggies, and one of them gets a little sensitive sometimes and needs special attention or he'll become frustrated and naughty. They have differences but they are truly pieces from the same pie- they are both equally happy and ornery and snuggly and shy.
And we of course can tell them apart very well because we are their parents! We have had lots of practice staring at their faces. (Although I must admit a few nights ago when we were getting them ready for bed, I had NO idea who I was dressing and it wasn't the first time. Haha). Aaron and I still joke about this one time when the boys were a few weeks old and my mom came over to visit. We color coordinated each baby differently to avoid mix ups but my mom must have changed diapers and switched their sweat pants or something because after she left Aaron and I both said, "Wait a second..." at practically the same time as we realized we weren't looking at who we thought we were looking at. They share the exact same DNA so they obviously look alike but even though their lips are the same, they smile differently. They both grunt, but it sounds different. They even hug and kiss you differently.
Love,
Jessica
| M, W They were getting sleepy but couldn't stop playing... |
![]() |
| W in green, M in blue |
![]() |
| M reading studiously, W blowing kisses |
![]() |
| M, W shopping with the boys while I ate with my friends |
![]() |
| M, W hanging with Grandpa |
![]() |
| M doing that flirty handsome grin, W smiling the way he does |
![]() |
| W, M eating one of their favorite snacks Yogurt, cereal, cranberries |






No comments:
Post a Comment